Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Backpacking South East Asia - Saigon (Part 4)


The next time I would cross the border would be to Ho Chi Minh City. I bought an bus ticket for 10USD. The trip from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City takes about 6 hours. At the proving of Neak Loeung,  around 60km from the capital the bus had to be ferried across the Mekong river.

At Ho Chi Minh City, I settled for an inn with a room that costs 6US Dollars a night with a single bed.  Though I would have preferred a cleaner bathroom at this point in my trip, the room came with cable tv and a fan.  Being in a city once again encouraged me to just kick back and relax, thats why I opted to arrange for a one day package tour just to take a break from the grueling bus rides I have been enduring the past days.  It turned out to be a rainy day tour that's why I decided to keep my lucky streak traveling alone and spend two more nights in Ho Chi Minh City.




The streets of Saigon are teeming with motorcycle riders.  There are scenic bus trips that will take you away from the bustling capital city to My Tho, one of the provinces at Mekong Delta.  I this point I have sort of fallen off the map and I am just aimlessly traveling to nearby towns.

The downside of going on a trip on a free plane ticket is I have to fly in and out of Bangkok.  So I retraced  my steps and found myself once again in the now familiar city of Bangkok.  As usual, instead of going on a tour package,  I decided to explore the area spending my transportation expenses the same way local Thais normally do.  Take for example, a package rate for a one day Ayutthaya  tour costs 450-1,000 Baht.  


However a backpacker can spend as low as 200 baht, which includes a round trip train ride to the province of Ayutthaya for not more than 60 baht, a 40 baht a day bicycle rental, a 3.50 baht to transfer the bike from the train station to the temples.  One should not hesitate to walk to certain temple sites like the Wat Arun (temple of dawn) and Wat Po (reclining Buddha).  Traveling in Thailand would not be complete without visiting the  famous floating market of Damoen Saduak.  



On a tight budget, I got  a two-week adventure in the Southeast, souvenir shirts, a bunch of gift items, a genuine Thai massage, incredible photographs and a wider perspective of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment