Thursday, June 5, 2008

Backpacking South East Asia - Thailand (Part 1)

It all started by a free round-trip free ticket to anywhere in South East Asia. What I didn't realize was it was enough to go on in an adventure of a lifetime. I picked Khao San Road to begin my journey. What would be more fitting than to head first to what is considered as the mecca for travelers?

Khao San road is a short road in central Bangkok, Thailand.  It is located in the Banglamphu neighborhood about 1 kilometer from the Grand Palace with Wat Phra Kaew.   It has developed over the years into most probably the most profound worldwide example of a "backpacker's ghetto".

This isn’t exactly taking the road less travelled which is more befitting of a backpacker like myself, but I have chosen Khao San Road out of curiosity having read about its supposed popularity among Western tourists. Many tourists prefer to stay on this short road because of the affordable accommodations and proximity to some of Thailand’s famous temples.


Hua Lamphong Railway Station ( Bangkok Railway Station ) is the main railway station in Bangkok Thailand.

Though there are several cheap and affordable tour packages available for travelers to explore Thailand’s neighboring countries like Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos, I prefer the challenges of traveling alone not just on planning and discovering itineraries as I go but also of budgeting and making the most of every buck. Of course it also allows me to take as much time in any place taking pictures as much as I want and getting to know the locals.


Damoen Saduak has a daily floating market and is located 100km. from Bangkok Thailand.

Damoen Saduak has a daily floating market and is located 100 kilometers from Bangkok, Thailand.  The traders sit in their boats and sell their goods and other food products to people living in the houses as well as to each other.


I am always conscious of following the old cliche that I must be a traveller and not a tourist.
My journey begins on the following day after my overnight stay at Garden Village  lodge for only 2.5 USD a night in a cool dormitory room with a personal fan. The guesthouse is popular amongst the tourists because of the warm accommodation and hospitality. I bought a cheap bus ticket to Seam Reap Cambodia for only 11USD along Kao San Road the night before. A little hunting around resulted in finding what was possibly the most affordable passage to Thailand's neighboring country Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment